Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Intoxication

My name is D’mello and I’m not an alcoholic. It’s never easy living as a minority, my way of living has generally never changed based on the fact that I’m a minority but there is always this reality check that sends you plummeting into the real world. Not that Christians have made it easy for others to judge us on the actions of the “many” lost sheep of the heard. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break it. But before laws and religious obligations I think logic and spirituality should prevail.

For the many Christians and others who claim that Christianity “allows” the consumption of alcohol, you’re wrong, for crying out loud talk to a priest or just Google it. Proverbs 31:6-7 says “Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more” and earlier in Proverbs 20:1 “Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise” and there are tones of such references that many choose to ignore.

To be more country specific in Pakistan we find “wine shops” in every locality. The spotlight as usual on Christians, why? Because they are willing to walk up boldly put the merchandise in a bag and walk with their heads held up high while the others stuff it in brown paper bags into their pockets; let’s look at all this from a business point of view you think opening a shop just to carter for the minority is commercially viable? Well I don’t think so. Bhutto, Jinnah all consumers of alcohol we still consider them great leaders and so they were. Consumption of alcohol is not a matter of religion it’s a matter of preference, and at times an addiction a disease.

And to take all this a step further I’m not going to make friends with this post (I never do) but when a Christian consumes Alcohol or pork for some reason we are disgusting; but when individuals say for examples with civics consumer alcohol or drugs it’s all cool. It’s not a crime to be conventional or a traditionalist, hell I’m very conventional and I am not apologizing, but bigotry is an unforgivable crime for the educated and yet we all want to go and eventually live in America, Canada and Australia.

With all the events in my life I was looking into the whole inter-religious marriages and observed a few examples; let me tell you something, you need to be intellectually far more superior then normal to “live happily ever after” in such a situation. I love those days when I learn a little about someone or something cause it not only puts things in perspective but at times makes decision making easier and letting go of regrets and hopes, which in retrospect is a good thing.

My aim here was not to attack anyone but to educate, the way I am doing it may not be right but as I say, my blog my wish. I may not be the epitome of goodness but I try and so should you. Most of the people I truly admire belong to different faiths. Doesn’t change my love for them and never will. In this day and age what matters is the heart, the love a person gives you that’s humanity, that’s religion and that’s what God teaches us.

“Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers” - Voltaire

1 comment:

Shaheryar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.