Monday, December 9, 2013

The Anniversary

“When something bad happens you have three choices. You can let it define you, let it destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you.” ~Unknown

I've always been one who has cribbed about my problems, even though I know logically there are people out there who are much more in need than myself. But in the midst of all that venting, I've picked up a few valuable lessons. Life always presents you with two roads, the easy way and the hard way. I've lost my chain of thought.

This is a very important month in the history of Roydon D'mello; somewhere back in 2007 right about the same time I began a journey of excruciating pain. And no I am not talking about a relationship with one of my insufferable ex's. The journey has been a tough one, with many sleepless nights, betrayals and expired merchandise. I have this amazing ability to not get what I want, but I've survived so far, I still wonder if I'll make it to the natural biological finish line.

I'm glad I haven't changed much, naturally progressed to being more arrogant and a difficult person to be with, and the occasional falling off the wagon with prescription drugs and consumption of some stronger liquids.

I stand alone, I've never had the chance to sit down and discuss this time with anyone, I still don't know why I'm going to post this, but then again I haven't thought things through for so many things in life. I do believe I’m strong, but I’ve always been squeamish around needles—going back to my first childhood finger prick, which I resisted with blood curdling wails. How much of life’s toughest challenges would be far less painful if we didn’t anticipate the sting? How many difficulties would seem more bearable if we didn’t ruminate over them, stress about them, expect the worst of them, and then create a state of panic that compels us to resist and fight? Most things aren’t nearly as bad as we imagine they’ll be when they happen. In fact, sometimes they’re pleasantly surprising. We can’t always be certain where the paths we fear may lead us—but we can choose not to hurt ourselves as we walk toward what will be.


“If pleasures are greatest in anticipation, just remember that this is also true of troubles.” ~Elbert Hubbard

No comments: